Information needed to request a Tourist Visa for Australia or a Business Visa
This guide is a summary of everything that can be useful to know to request a Visa to Australia.
We will inform the travellers on the following topics:
- Obligations to be met for the trip to Australia
- Process of applying for a Australia Visa
- Preparation of luggage and customs restrictions
Visa for Australia: Your first step
When you decide to visit Australia, before planning the trip (e.g. booking of transport and accommodation facilities), you need to apply for a entry permit, which is mandatory to start out. In a few words you must get a valid Australian Visa. You have to figure out which type of visa to Australia you need, according to your needs.
Do you would to go to Australia for a holiday, for work, for medical care or are you thinking of living there?
Do you know what are the requirements to get your Visa to Australia? What are the requirement attached to the Australia visa? Are you aware of the obligations to which you are subjected when you're on Australian territory?
We will try to give an answer to these questions.
Which electronic visa (E-visa Australia) should I request?
If you are going to Australia for tourism or business (according to certain conditions which we will denote later on), the right choice of the type of visa for Australia depends on your country of citizenship and can fall back on two specific types:Read More
Australia visa eVisitor (subclass 651) is aimed at travelers in possession of a passport issued by one of the following european countries:
The eVisitor Australia Visa is valid for 1 year and allows a period of stay up to three months on australian soil. With the eVisitor Australia you have the chance to enter on the territory several times during its validity and stay in Australia for Up to 3 months at a time.
Tourist eVisa (Electronic Visa) eVisitor Australia
With the tourist visa for Australia eVisitor, you can:
- Visit the country as a tourist
- Visit friends and relatives, who are residents of Australia
- Follow courses of study with a maximum duration of 3 months
Business eVisa (Electronic Visa) eVisitor Australia
With eVisitor Australia visa business you can:
- Initiate market surveys with local businesses for future partnerships, to sign or negotiate contracts of employment
- To undertake research on the spot for a possible transfer in Australia, including the search of a job and a home.
- Participate in seminars, conferences and trade shows, provided that you do not receive a monetary reward.
With the eVisitor Australia visa (tourism or business) is possible to carry out the activity of voluntary work, if:
- The main purpose of visiting Australia is tourism and voluntary work is a consequence of this visit.
- For unpaid voluntary service: it is expected only reimbursement of expenses that may include meals, accommodation, transport.
- Voluntary work cannot be undertaken by a regular paid Australian resident (that is, if the work paid to a local resident is removed).
Important: you can't work with the tourist eVisa for Australia eVisitor and with the business eVisa Australia eVisitor. For this purpose are available other types of Visas.
Characteristics and request of the eVisitor Australia VisaRead More
The acronym ETA stands for Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601). It is an eVisa (Australia electronic visa) dedicated to travelers with citizenship of one of the following countries:
The Australian ETA visa allows you to visit Australia as a tourist or business men, has a duration of 1 year with a maximum stay of 3 months for each trip. The ETA Australia visa allows multiple entries. With ETA Australia it is possible to return to Australia several times during the period of validity .
The characteristics of the ETA Australia are:
ETA Australia Visa Tourist
With the tourist version of the Australia ETA visa you can:
- Visit Australia as a tourist
- Visit friends and relatives who are resident in Australia
- Follow courses of study for a maximum duration of 3 months
ETA Australia Visa Business
With this variant of ETA Australia Visa you can:
- Start commercial research at Australian companies for future corporate collaborations
- Start an investigation to look for a future job and for a definitive transfer.
- Negotiate, sign or review business or employment contracts
- Attend conferences and seminars only if you are not paid by the organizers for participation
As indicated, an ETA Australia visa is valid for 1 year with a maximum stay of 3 months, but if you are already in Australia with a valid ETA visa (subclass 601), and you need to stay on Australian territory for a longer period of time of those allowed, it is possible to extend the lenght of stay by requesting another type of visa, such as a tourist visa, Visitor Visa (subclass 600).
Conditions required to obtain a ETA Australia Visa
You can apply for an ETA Australia if:Read More
You may have read about two different types of Visas to Australia: ETA and eVisitor. What’s the difference?
One of these two visas is required to enter Australia, whether on vacation or on a business trip. Fortunately, eVisitor and ETA are very similar: they are both electronic authorizations linked to your passport number, and they share the same conditions for tourism or business visits.
The reason for requesting one or the other is only the Nationality stated on your Passport.
So, if you are looking for the right visa to enter Australia on vacation or for a business visit, and you are a citizen of one of these Countries
then you need to apply for an eVisitor visa for Australia (*)
eVisitor Australia Visa
|If, on the other hand, you are a citizen of one of these Countries|
Then you need to request an ETA Australia Visa
ETA Australia Visa
In both cases, online application for your ETA or eVisitor Australia Visa requires that you are currently outside Australia and that you plan to visit for tourism or business visitor activities. Remember to have your credit card, passport, and e-mail address ready.
(*) NOTE: Travellers only holding a passport as British National Overseas, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject are not eligible for an eVisitor Visa.
What are the requirements to apply online for an ETA Australia Visa?
What limitations does this visa have?
Obtaining your online ETA or eVisitor Visa to enter Australia is subject to a series of restrictions and requirements, both for business visitors and tourists.
They are briefly summarized here:
- When applying online for your visa, both ETA and eVisitor, you must be physically outside Australian Territory;
- You must be a citizen of the specific set of Countries listed above to be eligible for eVisitor or ETA Australia Visas;
- You must not be suffering from tuberculosis when you arrive to Australia;
- You must never have been previously convicted with a prison sentence lasting over 12 months.
- You may not undertake any paid work, of any kind, in Australia while holding an ETA or eVisitor Visa. In certain cases, voluntary and unpaid work may be allowed, but only if an Australian citizen cannot be normally employed in such role, and in any case this may not be the primary reason for your visit to Australia.
What can you do with the ETA AUSTRALIA Tourist VISA?
Your ETA or eVisitor Australia Tourist Visa is valid for one year, starting from date of issue. It is a multiple-entry visa, which means that you may leave and re-enter the Country several times during this period: however, no single stay may last longer than three months, and at least a few days must pass between separate stays. This makes it the ideal visa for a vacation in Australia, even a prolonged one – or for a job search, if you’re planning to move to Australia at a later time.
During your stays in Australia, this Visa allows you to
- Visit every part of the territory for tourism purposes
- Visit friends or relatives living in Australia
- Attend study courses in Australia, as long as they do not last longer than three months
- Search for work in Australia, such as attending information sessions or interviews, so as to experience the way of life and customs of Australia while evaluating a future relocation to the Country.
What can you do with the ETA Australia Business Visa?
Your ETA Australia Business Visa offers you everything the tourist visa does, plus a few more features:
- You may survey the territory looking for business partners and carry out business-related activities – provided that they do not involve work on business premises or sales of any kind. Please remember that this is not a work visa.
- You may attend conferences and seminars, as long as they are unpaid
- You may sign international commercial contracts
- You may carry out business on behalf of governmental bodies
Settling in: beyond the ETA visa,
life in Australia
If you are planning on relocating to Australia, the Australian Government website (link) has a great deal of information about life in this Country, and many links to settlement services and aid, including English courses, information about local values, and descriptions of Australian culture.